Thursday, February 18, 2010

Choices

My neighbor lost her life in a house fire a couple of weeks ago. Her home was less than a block away from my own.  The fire started due to an overloaded outlet.  I was not privy to the exact finding, but I have heard that an extension cord was plugged in to the wall.  Such a tragedy for something so preventable.  June and I had been neighbors for over 20 years.  She cared for my children during a couple of summers and we enjoyed her love of life and people.  I have been moved to tears thinking about how she struggled for her life that snowy, cold winter morning, trapped in the home where she had nurtured her own family for 40+ years, and for a time, mine as well.


Events such as this, make one think about life and death.  Day to day trivialities are lessened by the questions that arise from a sudden and tragic passing like this one.  I don't like to judge others by my perceptions, or even by what choices they may have made during their life but human nature makes one ponder such when a life is cut so short.

Wherever the soul goes when it leaves the body, is a choice we must make while we are breathing.  It means choosing and believing and living that choice as best we can.  It means daily revival and forgiveness for our failings and forgiving others of the same.  I believe that God, while seeing our imperfections, also sees our hearts.  I am thankful for that.  I am thankful for a merciful God who chooses to look inside, despite the tattered and worn packaging that we display on the outside. 

I am thankful for choices and the privilege of making one.

No comments:

A long, long time ago......but I can still remember....

A long, long time ago......but I can still remember....
Just the two of us, before the rest of us...

Pepper

Pepper
At 10 weeks. Half sweet and half not!