Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Playing with Digital Art


My grandmother never had the art supplies that I am blessed to have. She used whatever was available for her sketches.....a blank tablet (or a lined one), an old envelope, a newspaper corner, just about anything would do; whatever she had near her when the urge to sketch hit her would suffice! She sketched lovely ladies resembling those whom she had seen in her youth; typical "Gibson Girls". I think if Grandma had of had different materials and more time, she would have drawn much more and her attempts to create would have greatly increased.
Perhaps this is why I love art so much and particularly, have always loved vintage photographs! Especially photographs of beautiful women. From the very young girls, to the very old ladies, I love them all! The older the photograph, the better. I do become bored with sketching them and coloring them with pencils or crayons and it takes a bit of time. Mistakes are unforgiving for a perfectionist like myself. This is when I found that digital art was for me! Color is quickly absorbed on my digital canvas and mistakes are erased in a click, plus they do not leave traces of the error!

I wonder how these ladies from long past lived. Many early victorian photographs subjects are pensive. People rarely smiled and seldom seem to have worn any color. But I love to alter these poor people, bringing them to life by adding vibrant living color to their world! All the while imagining what they would think of being laden in so much color and of their new environment!
I work in either Paint Shop Pro8, or Adobe Elements 2.0 - perhaps alternating between the two.I usually start by giving their grey skin new life, adding various shades and hues to reach a tone that appears true and hopefully radient (if that is the mood I am in!). The poor subjects are really at my mercy! Then I play with their hair color. I am a naturalist, so I usually consider this and do not change what I detect was their original hair color, though admittedly they may benefit from modern highlights!

The lovely lady above was a movie star in the 1920's. Not a true victorian, but still classifies as a vintage image for me, and beautiful, yes. But sadly for recorded history, shall she always remain in shades of grey?

Not with a little help from her friends! With new skin, makeup, hair, brightened clothes and a lively environment, she comes to life with my digital paintbox! This is my favorite waste of time. Giving new life to these once beautiful and vibrant women through the click of my mouse.

I encourage you to take a break from your busy life, have some fun with your digital paintbox and give some new life to an old friend!

2 comments:

pchickki said...

What program do you use to create your art and how can I get a closer look at your altered mason jar lid? it is amazing and what a great idea. Wow, I love it!
I would really like to see your work up close. DO you have an Etsy Store?
Thanks
Patti

Managing Life and Art.... said...

Hey Patti!
I apologize for not answering your question sooner, I just noticed that there was a comment on the page!

My digital art pieces are made using Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 (now owned by Corel) and sometimes interchangeably with Adobe Photoshop Elements.

I have not sold items on Etsy or Ebay yet, because my work usually sells right here at home but I am considering this as it looks like a great way to promote one's work.

Thank you for your comments! You and I are friends through Ruebee, so I will post there when I get an Etsy shop up and running! Maybe I can get some better photos to show in the mean time! Take good care, Patti! <><

A long, long time ago......but I can still remember....

A long, long time ago......but I can still remember....
Just the two of us, before the rest of us...

Pepper

Pepper
At 10 weeks. Half sweet and half not!